Friday, July 22, 2011

"Values do the work...

Sunrise on Newport Bridge
Although I struggled getting up with the birds, I only spent a few of hours painting on site.  My goal was to capture the color, composition and values and use my photos to finish it later.  When I looked at the painting later in the day, I was disappointed with how pale and washed out it was.  I then looked at the photos, I found the darks were so much darker than I painted.  I realized my eyes were “seeing” much more light in the shadows.

Using the photographs, I fixed the painting.  What I loved about the early morning sun and the low angle was the deep shadows created on the bridge and the boat.  I will keep my value finder handy from now on, until my brain learns how to see better.   I once read "Values do the work, color gets the applause."  This was a good example.

6 comments:

Anything Goes said...

It's beautiful - I love your early morning paintings.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Was this done from your yacht?
bitatt

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful painting, Beth! Love the colors in it and it looks so serene!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kudos. Unfortunately, not from my yacht ;-)

sharon smith said...

Beautiful, beth

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sharon.