Thursday, July 28, 2011

Joys and Sadness of Selling a Painting

Blue Beached Boat
SOLD 
Of course, I love it when someone enjoys one of my paintings enough to buy it for their home, but there are mixed emotions associated with a sale.  When so much time is spent getting a painting just right, it becomes an extension of your soul.  A part of me wants to share it with the world, but another part is sad to see it go.  When I meet the people who buy a painting, I’m often left with a longing to know them better (which sometimes happens over time).  I’m grateful to have talked with them and love seeing their happy faces when they hold the painting for the first time.  (Yea, a bit sappy, but that’s me.)

But sometimes, you don’t get to meet the buyer.  You don’t get to chat or to say “Thank You.” And there is a bit of a void.  I’ll occasionally wonder what it was that they fell in love with, where the painting is hanging and  will sometimes actually miss the painting like a lost friend.  I write this because I was just told one of my favorite paintings, “Blue Beached Boat”, just sold and I hope to someday meet its new owner.

3 comments:

Bradford Sherman said...

Hi Beth! Can't they let you know WHO bought the painting? Did they sign the check anonymous or pay cash? I would think the new owners would want to communicate with you.- just my opinion

Unknown said...

I'll be going over there next week and will ask them. I wouldn't reach out to them - not sure how that would be received. They might find my website/blog and send me a note.

Kathy Hodge said...

It's a good one, but don't worry, there's more where that came from! Congratulations