Thursday, March 17, 2011

How to feel productive, without really trying?

 Go find paintings you never finished!

Marble Canyon
Nankoweap Canyon
About two years ago I started learning how to paint with oils.  I used watercolors for many years and even then did not spend a lot of time painting.  When I started with oils, I used the paint much like I did watercolor paint; very thin.  I started painting some images from a whitewater rafting trip through the Grand Canyon, but put them aside.  I'm glad I did.  I've learned a lot in the last few years and I think these paintings are better than if I had finished them before.  In a few years, I may look back at these paintings and say "I could do better."  I finished these paintings, and two below, in record time.  It helps if you have 75% of the painting completed.
Blue Beached Boat
SOLD 


Boogie Board

NOTE:  A year later (2/21/12),  I looked at the two canyon paintings and thought about taking them out of the frame to make some improvements.  This is a good thing!  I've developed better painting skills over the past year.

2 comments:

Kathy Hodge said...

Very nice, I like the perspective of "Marble Canyon". The deadline for the artist residency in the Grand Canyon is coming up (April 1), you should go for it!

Unknown said...

Kathy, Thanks. I'm not in as good shape as I was when I did the rafting trip. They might have to helicopter me out!