Monday, November 01, 2010

From My Collection: Mary Jane Q. Cross

In my last From My Collection post I mentioned most of my paintings were purchased after making a connection with both the artist and the art work.   My spotlight today is the best example of this connection.

Mary Jane Cross first caught my attention when she donated one of her “red apple” paintings to the RI PBS Art and Antique auction.  I was awestruck by how she could convey so much emotion, innocence and spirituality in the face of her beautiful young subject.  She also captured a split second moment in time that kept me wondering what was on her mind and what had just happened.  Later, I met the wonderful woman behind the painting and found a soul with the same emotion and spirituality.  
Noonday Lull

I followed her work online and in local art shows.  One day I received a postcard with an image of ”Noonday Lull”.  This painting captured delicate sunlight, in a way very few artist can, and a sense of peace and contentment.  I propped the card on my desk because that contentment could sometimes drop my blood pressure a notch or two.

Weeks went by and I unexpectedly found Mary Jane’s booth at an exhibit.  And there was “Noonday Lull” in person – so much more beautiful than the postcard.  Mary Jane had once said to me “If a painting haunts you, you need to own it.”  I had been haunted for a while, and it now hangs in my living room. 

There is a fabulous story that goes with my purchase, but I’ll tell you in person if you are interested.  Below is a link to Mary Jane's bio and her  story of how she pushed through her disability (lost ability to hold a brush)  to produce beautiful art.

Mary Jane’s work can be seen at Gallery on the Green in Woodstock VT.
www.galleryonthegreen.com/ 
Her website is below. 

The painting continues to instill a little bit of peace and contentment everyday.

2 comments:

Jeff Hartley said...

Love your blog Beth..... Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

Jeff, Thank you. I'll always promote my friends whenever I can.