Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Digital Painting and Rodney Dangerfield

A couple of years ago I purchased my favorite software program; ArtRage.  The infatuation started even before the download.  The modest $25.00 price immediately captured my attention (I love a bargain!)  The ease of use and how beautifully the program simulated the actual media (oil, pastel, etc...) was like sweet talkin’ and copious wine.  I was swooning. 

Pear
Like many early relationships, we just had so much fun together (Yes, I actually used the glitter in one of my paintings!)  We then transitioned into more serious work.  I painted a number of small still lifes, some portraits and started using ArtRage to create studies of future oil paintings.  We just go together like peanut butter and jelly.  (o.k., enough of the schmaltz)

Gerber Daisy


So, I created a few nice paintings, but now “I get no respect”!   I wanted to submit a painting to a local art club, but these are considered “prints”, not original art.   I spent a lot of time on these images and incorporated the same knowledge and skills used with traditional media.  I don’t feel like I fit in with digital artists creating beautiful graphical images.  Our styles and subjects probably attract very different audiences. 

I guess my masterpieces will just have to be happy in the print bin.

No comments: