Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Art Appreciation – Thomas Kinkade

A recent NPR story “Dark Times Befall 'Painter of Light' Thomas Kinkade” made me think about Kinkade paintings in a different perspective.  If someone mentioned how much they loved his paintings, I’d smile and nod, but think to myself “Are they kidding?”  I thought they’d make great backdrops to a Disney movie.  But, he has a tremendous following and, as any large successful company, he also had his critics and those who would like to see him fail.

Central Park in the Fall
Art appreciation is an evolving process.  In high school, I thought Renoir was the best painter – ever!  Now, I think so many artists are more talented and creative.  I enjoy abstract art more than before.  As my painting skills improve and my exposure to art broadens, so does my taste in art.  The reactions of friends and family to the paintings I have in my home are so diverse.  People think I’ll be offended if they say something disparaging, but I really don’t mind.  Some people intellectualize paintings, but I can’t.  I listen to my soul when looking at art.  Does it make me feel happy, calm, anxious, uncomfortable?  Only good reactions make it into my home.

There is a tremendous variety of art in the world.  Buy what you like.  If Thomas Kinkade makes you happy, Great!!

No comments: