Sunday, January 02, 2011

Under the Knife

Tangerines and Tome
SOLD 
I'm finally getting the hang of the palette knife.  I started out as a watercolorist, so this truly is a big leap!!  I love the juicy paintings my fellow artists create with the knife so I tried for the first time last summer.  I fought the urge to pick up the brush and it is getting easier each time.

I have no problem putting in my large masses, but have a very hard time progressing to smaller areas and details.  The heal of the knife would unintentionally pick up paint from places it didn't belong and move it to places I surely didn't want it. 

There is nothing better to keep colors clean and pure.  As someone who still fights the urge to work the little places too soon, struggling with the knife in details makes them the last thing I want to do.  It is a very liberating little tool.

Here is my latest painting with the knife.  I'll admit I cheated a little and used a brush for some small spots, but other than that, it was all knife.

No comments: