Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Artist as a Salesperson

The focus of my painting has shifted over the last couple of years from a hobby to a career.  I've expanded the scope of my knowledge in many directions; technique, composition, color, and of course MARKETING.  One art marketing article reminded me of brochures I was given after being laid off.  (UGH)  Those brochures talked about practicing my "30 Second Elevator Speech" which quickly described the job I wanted and why someone should hire me. 

I realized my paintings may not always sell themselves and they might need an "elevator speech" to help them along.  I could provide insight to the technical or creative process of the painting, the mood I was trying to capture or perhaps just ask some open ended questions to get their first impressions.   I guess being an artist is just a constant job interview.  And I now need LOTS of elevator speeches.

No comments: