Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cultivating Young Artists

Glass Flowers by Colleen
I might be biased, but my niece seems to be very perceptive for someone her age.  A couple of years back, I noticed she was good at picking out details and patterns in the world around her.  I introduced her to contour drawing (good for a few laughs) and we did some plein air sketching at the zoo.  But kids often don't have a long attention span.  She recently bought herself a camera and may have hit upon a creative outlet that can happen "instantaneously."  I've been sending her some photo challenges and I then get to see what she sees via email.  She may never take up painting, but if she does, I hope learning how to see, at a young age, gives her a head start.  Only time will tell...

2 comments:

acmeconsulting said...

Great work! Great post!

Unknown said...

Thank you. I will share your feed back with my niece. I forgot to mention that she is 10 years old.
Beth